How to help your kids be seen Their future is bright. Their lights should be, too.
When it comes to on-bike safety, it’s never too soon to show your kids how to be seen in the saddle. To help your little rippers stand out, make sure they use daytime running lights (DRLs) on every ride. But not all lights are created equal. Read on to learn about the DRL difference, how to mount your kids’ lights and more.
The Daytime Running Light difference
Bontrager Daytime Running Lights are designed with a specific focus, flash and range to be seen from up to 2 km away during daylight hours, so you can feel some peace of mind when your kids are riding to and from school, racing around the block or pedalling home from the park.
Installation as easy as 1-2-3
Installing your kid’s DRLs is super easy, and once you have their bracket mounted it’s even easier to pop their lights off when it’s time to charge up.
Mounting their rear light
1) Check to make sure that you are using the quick-connect bracket designed for the rear light – it’s wedge-shaped and will have a saddle icon on it right next to the strap’s hook.
Note: the wedge shape counteracts the angle of the seat post so that the rear light is always parallel to the ground. This way the light is thrown directly behind you, giving you the greatest visible range and ensuring that drivers can see you.
2) Hold the bracket so that the widest part of the wedge faces the ground and the saddle icon is upright.
3) Place the light near the top of their seat post, but low enough that the light will not be blocked by a bag or seat pack.
4) Attach the quick connect bracket to the seat post by stretching the rubber straps around the seat post.
5) Then, catch the hook securely through a notch on the strap. The tab on the hook will hold any excess strap in place.
Mounting their front light
Note: Heavy-duty lights, like the Ion Pro RT, will use an adjustable hard-mount bracket. Lighter-weight lights, like the Ion 100 R, will use a rubber quick connect bracket.
If their light has an adjustable hard-mount bracket:
1) First make sure that the bracket is set to fit the circumference of their handlebars.
2) Unscrew the bracket and place it around their handlebar.
3) Once you’ve positioned the bracket so that the light is parallel to the ground, secure the mount by hand-tightening the screw until it’s finger tight.
If their front light has a quick-connect bracket:
1) Attach it to their handlebar by holding the strap so the light is parallel to the ground.
2) Then, stretch the rubber straps around the handlebar and catch the hook securely through a notch on the strap.
How to remove lights for charging and cleaning
This part is so easy, your little riders might even be able to do it themselves!
Simply press down on the release lever and slide the light off the bracket – you don’t need to remove the bracket itself. To replace the light, slide it back onto the bracket until you hear it click into place. Make sure that the USB port cover is securely closed to keep out any water or debris.
Which lights are right for your family?
The industry leader in bike lights, Bontrager offers front and rear Daytime Running Lights individually and in sets. These smart, powerful lights are rechargeable, easy to mount and have loads of functional features.
Check out a few of our favourite lights below, and learn more about Daytime Running Lights here.
Bontrager Flare R City Rear Bike Light
The original rear Daytime Running Light and the reigning leader in the field, Flare R is the perfect rear bike light to make sure your little one is noticed on their next two-wheeled adventure.
Bontrager Ion Elite R Front Bike Light
This small but powerful front bike light features a wide beam spread, focused optics and an interruptive flash pattern designed to be seen in city and neighbourhood settings.
Bontrager Ion 100 R/Flare R City Bike Light Set
The best of both worlds, this light set includes front and rear Daytime Running Lights optimised for increased visibility in urban settings at all hours of the day and night.
About the Author: Trek
Our mission: we build only products we love, provide incredible hospitality to our customers, and change the world by getting more people on bikes.